East Poultney Day is Saturday, and the old Village Green in East Poultney is blossoming with the tents of vendors ready to show antiques, hand-made crafts, food, fresh produce and take-home food. . . a lot to choose from. Demonstrations, talks, and music add to the festivities. The three Historical Society museum will be open, and be sure to talk to some of the historians about their plans, and join the society.
This year’s theme is “Recovery and Innovation” as the Poultney Historical Society looks back 100 years to when the nation was last recovering from a major pandemic. From the 1920’s to the 2020″s, and just think of all the changes that have occurred in that time!
Slate Valley Trails is holding the Slate Valley Scramble – a trail-running competition. Over 100 runners signed up for various distances, with a new kids fun run too. This is the second year for the event and Slate Valley Trails is looking to continue in future years.
Poultney businesses are celebrating both events with sales, discounts, and specials, some for runners, and some for everyone! Runners can ID themselves by bringing in their registration or special tote bags.
- Williams Hardware is holding an end-of-season clearance sale, open to everyone.
- The East Poultney General Store will donate a 10 percent off coupon to runners.
- Taco Experiment has a special.
- Hermit Hill Books will participate, with 20 percent off for runners.
- The Original Vermont Store will be holding a clearance sale. Check the new layout for the store!
- Brookside Pub, just over the river in Hampton, NY provided coupons for a 10 percent discount for the runners’ tote bags.
- Everyday Flowers will be part of the celebration by donating business cards.
- Donna Johnson Physical Therapy has already dropped off their donation, including a sample, for the bags.
- The Furniture Studio sent some of their business cards for the runners’ tote bags.
There’s always more to do in Poultney and the Poultney Area: Stone Valley Arts has an exhibit called “Portraits of a Community”. There are all kinds of recreational opportunities, from swimming to hang gliding and from nature walks to teen cooking at the library. You’re welcome to come and enjoy our area – this Saturday, or anytime!